Monday, September 21, 2009

Happy birthday Duke!

I can still remember exactly how it came to be that we found our Dear Dukus. We had literally just moved into the house and decided, let's look for the lab puppy we wanted to get. We wanted him to get to grow up with Fonzie since our little hot dog was only 4 months old. We knew the little weiner dog would get too spoiled being the only dog in our house. It was early December 2001, everyone was waiting to get puppies for Christmas morning puppies. We took Fonzie to "meet" Duke and the rest is history. Duke was already 11 weeks old so we have no itty bitty puppy pictures of him (which I hate!). This is the first picture we ever took of Duke.
I remember throwing them together and they actually stayed so I could get a picture of them. You should have seen how they used to chase and play with each other when they were close to the same size. That didn't last long at all!
We had no idea just how much we would love this little black furry guy. Very early on and still today, he only has eyes for Dad.
I don't know if he will ever forgive us for bringing home Roscoe who we bought to be his playmate because we thought Duke was bored outside all day by himself. Can you see the disdain in this picture?
This my favorite picture of you - your first time duke hunting. So handsome in your camoflauge. I insisted that Dad had to buy you a life vest because you were going out on a boat and I had read a story about a hunter's dog drowning earlier that week. You're a mess - you even have mud in your whiskers! You had so much fun though. You slept for days after your first hunting adventure.
You love your kennel and are always going in there for no particular reason. If you hear us yell, you run in there even though you're not in trouble. I think it's your little cave, your safe place.
You are always so happy. Always panting, tail always wagging. I think you're actually smiling here....
And you always have something in your mouth...I don't get it. Duke, you are our perfect dog. You love everyone and everything. Happy 8th birthday, we love you more than words can ever express!

1 comment:

Olive Tree said...

Hi, it's a great blog.
I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
Keep doing!