Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Kolach

Okay, I am seriously a masochist for trying out this family recipe. I knew I was in for it when the recipe started 16-17 cups of flour. I remember my Grandma making this every year and the gigantic bowl that she used to make the dough. According to my mom and aunts, my Grandpa actually helped her with this. My Grandma was tiny - only about 5'1" and never weighed over 100 lbs unless she was pregnant. I can totally understand why after today - no sane person would do this alone! I do have to give snaps to Jason - he rolled out one ball of dough for me after I told him my Grandpa helped my Grandma.

So hear goes - I learned today that you can tell when yeast is bubbling. (It might be hard to see though!)
The dough rose! I left for my massage appointment and came back to see it had risen. You can see where I poked it with my finger. Another thing I learned - yeast will make your dough hot. I was so surprised (and was afraid something was wrong) when I felt how warm the dough was.

You roll it out then put the nut/raisin mixture in. Total bummer sidebar, grinding up the raisins may have broken my food processor. The blade is totally stuck in there and I can't get it out. Jason tried too, no luck.
Yum! I ended up with 10 loaves and have dough leftover but ran out of mixture. My mom told me about a cheesecake type thing my grandma used to make with the leftover dough. I need to get a glass pie plate tomorrow in my travels. I ate a tester slice and it tastes just like a remember it. It's so strange how smell triggers your memory. As soon as I smelled it baking, I knew I had made it right, it smelled just like my Grandma's kitchen used to. It makes me so sad that I didn't get to make this with her tonight. I was very close to my grandparents so the holidays are always tough on me because they're not around. I know they were smiling looking down on my tonight and wishing they could have some too!

1 comment:

Oergel said...

Thanks so much for the package of goodies! We love the Kolach and the kifli are to die for!!! The package arrived on Monday and we had friends drop over in the evening so I had great homemade treats to share with them. Thanks Megan & Jason